The PGA of America has reached an agreement to compensate players on next year’s United States Ryder Cup team for competing. This decision comes as Patrick Cantlay, often seen without a cap, has earned approximately £4.75 million on the PGA Tour this year. This will be the first instance in the 98-year history of the matches that either side has been paid to play. Each of the 12 players will receive $500,000 (£400,000), with $300,000 (£240,000) designated for donation to a charity or charities chosen by each team member. The PGA of America, which organizes the event, approved the package despite stating that “no players asked to be compensated.” Six players will qualify automatically via the US Ryder Cup points list, and captain Keegan Bradley will make six wildcard selections. In a statement, the PGA of America said: “The players and captains, past and present, are responsible for the Ryder Cup becoming the most special competition in golf and one of the most in-demand events on the international sports scene.” Last year’s contest in Rome was marked by Patrick Cantlay not wearing the American team cap, an action reported as a protest against the lack of player remuneration. Europe’s Rory McIlroy stated last month that he would personally pay to play in the matches, which are scheduled to be held at Bethpage in New York. “I personally would pay for the privilege to play on the Ryder Cup,” McIlroy told BBC Sport. He added: “The two purest forms of competition in our game right now are the Ryder Cup and the Olympics, and it’s partly because of that, the purity of no money being involved.” Europe won the 2023 Ryder Cup in Rome, where Cantlay’s cap stance led to home fans removing their headwear as he approached, in an attempt to taunt the American. This ultimately led to a spat between McIlroy and Cantlay’s caddie Joe LaCava, who waved his cap close to the Northern Irishman as he lined up a putt after his player had holed a long effort on the 18th in a match against the four-time major champion and Matt Fitzpatrick. That episode spilled into angry scenes in the car park at Marco Simone afterwards, which McIlroy and captain Luke Donald said fired up Europe for Sunday’s singles. “I don’t think any of the 24 players on either team needs 400 grand,” McIlroy said. “Every two years, there are 104 weeks and 103 weeks you can play golf and get paid.” Donald will again captain Europe in 2025; the team has not won on American soil since 2012. Post navigation McGuinness States Luton Prepared for Championship Winter ‘Slog’ Frank Expresses Satisfaction with Schade Selection After Hat-Trick